A land of thousands of lakes and streams, where the northern coniferous and southern deciduous forests meet, Algonquin Provincial Park is world famous for its intense and varied show of spectacular fall colors.
Join us for an intense learning experience among some of the most beautiful autumn scenery our world has to offer1 You will have the chance to learn and develop your skills at photographing:
• Streams and waterfalls adorned with vibrant autumn colors.
• The beautiful interplay of the rising sun with mists rising off still lakes
• Artistic takes on the vibrantly colorful foliage surrounding you
• The grandeur of seemingly endless autumn landscapes stretching as far as the eye can see
• The spectacular night skies that Algonquin has to offer
All this and more when you join us on our Algonquin park fall photography tour!
We meet outside the East Gate of Algonquin Provincial Park at 2 pm on September 29th, where I look forward to welcoming you to beautiful Algonquin and our fall photography workshop! Following a briefing on the next day’s activities and a chance to get know one another, we depart to the Algonquin visitor centre where I will give you our first presentation on how best to photograph the many wonderful opportunities for compelling autumn photography that Algonquin provides. Following our presentation we depart for our first sunset photography session! We will spend the following 2 1/2 days in Algonquin Provincial Park, photographing sunrise and sunset and the golden hours of light that follow or proceed. I will take you to areas I have identified as the most promising for rewarding photography. On our morning shoots we leave before dawn to visit lakes as well as marsh lands where I will advise and assist you on photographing the beautiful interplay of light and fog or mist at the water’s edge, so common at this time of year. Following each morning shoot, we have the option of a full breakfast in or outside Algonquin Provincial Park followed by lessons on processing, digital workflow and creative skills such as composition and developing a vision. After lunch and a break, we set out for our sunset shoots of grand vistas, which will involve some hiking. Weather permitting, we will be photographing past sunset on at least two occasions: One night we learn how to photograph the stars at twilight, for that amazing combination of warm afterglow and starry skies. Another night we stay on to photograph the full night sky and learn how to capture star trails. After our sunset or night shoots we return for a well deserved dinner and break. During the workshop we will also spend time photographing rivers and waterfalls and, time permitting, practising compositional techniques for photographing trees and foliage. After lunch on the third day, there will be a session recapping what we have learnt during the workshop and a review session of those images we have not yet had a chance to have a look at. The workshop ends at 2 pm on October 2nd.
My goal is for you to come away with great images which portray the beauty and unique nature of this truly beautiful Canadian wilderness. I will take you to all the locations I have identified as the most promising for rewarding photography and we will visit these only when the quality of light is most conducive for compelling images. Our small group size means that, as you photograph I will be able to give you dedicated in the field instruction on all aspects of photography, ranging from the technical to the creative. Although we will be spending as much time as possible in the field, it is important to balance this with an intense program of review sessions, lectures and processing sessions so that, as our workshop progresses, you have the opportunity to appraise the photographic progress you are making, and identify those areas which need more work. I will be putting much emphasis on the creative aspects of photography such as composition and developing a vision. Another area we will be focusing on is processing and developing a workflow, which forms a very important part of photography.
Topics to be covered:
Getting the technicals right to capture the full beauty of light interacting with the landscape:
1. Exposure and exposure bracketing
2. Focus, depth of field and sharpness
3. Use of filters, especially the polarizer
Previsualisation and composition
Developing an artistic vision
The digital darkroom: Highly effective postprocessing skills
All of this and more while you have the opportunity to photograph among a sea of vibrant autumn colors in this Canadian national treasure during our Algonquin park photography tour!
Our Algonquin park photography tour includes:
Intensive hands on photography instruction, class room presentations, review sessions and processing sessions.
- Food and beverages.
- Transport and entry fees.
- Really the workshop was even better than I could have hoped. Not just the great weather and surroundings and the choice spots you picked but your low key but still rigorous approach. I learned a ton! You struck the right balance between a variety of hands on work in the field, a great mixture of techniques and sharing your wealth of very practical and useful knowledge. Most of all I appreciated the shear joy you take in photography, it was totally infectious! Don’t ever lose that; it’ll take you (and those you teach) far. Marina Klein
- Far better than I could have imagined. I can’t wait until the next! Great instruction from Christoph – and a fantastic group!! Susan Sheen
I recently attended Christoph’s Algonquin Park workshop. I am very much an amateur photographer and was worried this workshop might be too advanced for me, but Christoph reassured me that he welcomed all levels of experience and he was good on his word. I learned a tremendous lot and had a tonne of fun doing it in an incredibly beautiful setting! Christoph is an inspiring and empowering teacher who encouraged each of us to grow our potential! I would encourage anyone who loves photography to go on one of his adventures. Roberta Kay
- I want to express again how satisfied I was with the weekend. Great mix of practical field work and technical shop talk. You have a great style in both photography and teaching. Jim Sinkovic
- I had a great time. Christoph is not only a great photographer, but he also knew exactly when to time the outing to make it right at the peak of the fall foliage. The nature was just amazing, and we took amazing shots. Can’t wait until his next event. Ziad Azzi
Thank you so much for your interest in our Algonquin Autumn Splendour photography workshop. I very much hope to be able to show you the best that this awe inspiring wilderness of towering, rugged mountains, blue, giant glaciers, turquoise colored lakes and endless Lenga forest in peak autumn colors has to offer!
To register, or for more information, please contact me at this link or send me an E-mail at email@example.com
In order to reserve your spot, a deposit of 650 Canadian Dollars is kindly requested. Full payment of the remaining balance is due by 60 days before tour begin.
Cancellation more than 90 days before tour begin: Full refund.
Cancellation less than 90 but more than 60 days before tour begin: No deposit refund, unless someone fills your spot.
Cancellation less than 60 days before tour begin: No refund of deposit and final payment, unless someone fills your spot.