A vast wilderness that needs little introduction, the Canadian Rockies are one of the most extravagantly beautiful mountain ranges on Earth and a landscape photographer’s dream. The opportunities for photography are endless, from still, turquoise colored lakes, rushing rivers, towering waterfalls and deep canyons, to soaring, snow capped mountain peaks and beautiful night skies. Join us on a journey through the rugged mountain ranges to spectacular Castle Mountain and stunning Moraine Lake, a pristine turquoise colored mountain lake guarded by ten towering peaks. Travel with us along one of the most scenic drives in the world, the Icefields Parkway, which parallels the Continental Divide, and which will provide you with unforgettable panoramas of unspoiled natural wonders framed by rugged peaks and sweeping valleys. We will be visiting the Rockies in autumn, and some lovely autumn colours will add that extra touch to the majestic mountain scenery you will be capturing.
Schedule – Best of the Canadian Rockies photography tour:
Day 1: We meet at 12:30 pm for lunch in Lake Louise, where we have the opportunity to get to know each other and where I will be able to welcome you to our Best of the Canadian Rockies photography tour! Lake Louise is strategically located in the middle of many spectacular lakes and mountains we will want to visit, no more than a 30 minute drive either way. I will give you an overview of the activities for the following days and answer any questions you may have. This will be followed by a presentation on how to photograph the mountain landscape and then our first sunset shoot! We return to Lake Louise for a well deserved dinner, and rest in preparation for the next action packed 4 days in the Canadian Rockies!
Days 2 – 4: Over the next 3 full days, we explore the pristine turquoise colored lakes, towering waterfalls, rushing rivers and canyons and, of course, majestic mountains of Banff National Park. Since I want you to get the best possible photographs, the locations we visit are not fixed and I will choose those which promise the best light, given the current weather conditions. That being said we have to choose from several beautiful landscapes, including Vermillion Lakes, Two Jack Lake, Castle Mountain, the utterly beautiful Lake Moraine, Peyto Lake, Bow Lake, Herbert Lake and the amazing Johnston Canyon, amongst others, and we will try to capture as many of these in the best possible light. However, our workshop is not only about capturing the grand landscape. We will be spending significant amounts of time learning how to capture the more intimate aspects of the landscape, ranging from learning how to unlock the infinite artistic potential of flowing water to artistic takes on the autumn foliage that surrounds us. Over the course of each day we will be holding a number of editing/review and presentation sessions, during which I will teach on topics such as composition, developing an artistic vision, processing, and technical aspects of photography.
My goal is for you to come away with great images which portray the beauty and unique nature of this incredible part of the world. I will take you to all the locations I have identified as the most promising for rewarding photography and we will visit these only when the quality of light is most conducive for compelling images. Our small group size means that, as you photograph I will be able to give you dedicated in the field instruction on all aspects of photography, ranging from the technical to the creative. Although we will be spending as much time as possible in the field, it is important to balance this with an intense program of review sessions, lectures and processing sessions so that, as our workshop progresses, you have the opportunity to appraise the photographic progress you are making, and identify those areas which need more work. I will be putting much emphasis on the creative aspects of photography such as composition and developing a vision. Another area we will be focusing on is processing and developing a workflow, which forms an extremely important part of photography, especially in the digital age.
Topics to be covered:
Getting the technicals right to capture the full beauty of light interacting with the landscape:
1. Exposure and exposure bracketing
2. Focus, depth of field and sharpness
3. Use of filters, especially the polarizer
Previsualisation and composition
Developing an artistic vision
The digital darkroom: Highly effective postprocessing skills
All of this and more while you have the opportunity to photograph in one of the most extravagantly beautiful and majestic mountain ranges on earth.
What is included:
- 4 days of intensive hands on photography instruction during field sessions in the best locations the Canadian Rockies have to offer!
- Class room presentations, review sessions and processing sessions.
What is not included:
- Flights/transportation to Lake Louise.
- Banff National Park Pass.
- Food and drinks.
- We will be sharing transport to visit the different locations. The cost of gas will be shared among the participants.
- I can say it was the best experience I’ve ever had in my life. There are no words to describe how awesome it was! So thank you, for the experience of my lifetime. The people, the memories, the scenes and the fun we had. Sergio Rodriguez
- What an absolute delight. This was my third workshop with you and each time I have the pleasure of spending time with you, I learn more and more and your passion and enthusiasm is simply infectious – quite wonderful. You know all the great spots which have the potential to capture amazing images. THANK YOU. Jeffrey Bleaman
- Thank you for the time of my life!!! Carol McKeenan
- The workshop in one word was “inspiring”. Your knowledge and passion for photography mixed with the fact that you want to share this with others made the workshop not only an amazing learning experience, but left me with such an excitement and thirst to go out and shoot more and apply the lessons you had taught. I got so much more from the workshop than I expected. The only thing I would have wished more from it, would have been more time. Troy Popovitch
- Two great gifts that you gave me at the workshop: a starting point, and the permission to be my own artist. Your diversity as an artist was inspiring. Your passion for creating was obvious. Your desire to teach others selflessly was apparent. Kristen Thorogood
- Thank you very much for yet another beautiful destination. As usual, your passion and dedication and willingness to share your knowledge is unbounded. I look forward to joining you in another mind blowing adventure!!! Simon Dadouche
Thank you so much for your interest in our “Best of the Canadian Rockies!” photography workshop. I very much look forward to showing you the best that this vast, truly beautiful Canadian mountain wilderness of towering, rugged mountains, turquoise colored lakes, rivers and waterfalls has to offer!
To register, or for more information, please contact me at this link or send me an E-mail at email@example.com