Patagonia is unbridled wilderness where nature, primeval, pure and untamed, surrounds and touches every core of your being. Situated at the vast southern ice field, it is home to vast glaciers of blue ice, pristine turquoise waters dotted by spectacularly shaped icebergs over which tower soaring granite massifs and, in the month of April, endless lenga forests in peak autumn colors. Join me on an unforgettable photography adventure to the embodiment of untamed mountain wilderness. Wonder in awe at the giant granite massifs, Cuernos Del Paine and Paine Grande, in Chile’s Torres del Paine National Park, which rise with a breathtaking elevation gain of 3000 m above turquoise lakes. Capture giant blocks of ice calving off Argentina’s vast, deep blue Perito Moreno glacier, one of the world’s largest and most beautiful glaciers and, in Argentina’s Los Glaciares National Park, marvel at the breathtaking scene of waterfalls, surrounded by colorful autumn foliage, above which tower beautifully shaped Mount Fitzroy and the serrated dark wonder, Cerro Torre. Breathtaking mountain scenery set among peak autumn colors: Patagonia is nothing other than a photographer’s dream.
Day 1: The first evening of our two week adventure! Rest and relax in our comfortable, highly rated hotel in El Calafete, Argentina, and enjoy the scenic views of lago Argentino! We meet for our first delicious Argentinian dinner, where we have the chance to get to know one another, and where I will give you an overview of your upcoming two week long adventure! This also gives me the opportunity to welcome you to our Patagonia photography tour!
Day 2: After a hearty breakfast we are off to my favourite part of Patagonia, Chile’s mind blowing Torres del Paine! It is the epitome of unbridled wilderness – a world of mountains, glaciers and turquoise lakes, as rough, rugged and dramatic as they come. “The Canadian Rockies on steroids” far misses the mark. When you enter Torres you are immersed in wilderness – weather that changes from rain to snow to sublime light within a matter of minutes, still, serene turquoise waters suddenly transforming into roaring seas and back again, towering, imposing granite massifs dipping in and out of walls of angry, churning clouds, as condors sweep above, seemingly free from it all. Embrace it, and you will feel alive, free, and as happy as you rarely have!
We check in to our luxurious and beautifully located hotel and after we have settled in, we depart to our first sunset location, determined to capture images which convey the character of this exceptional world we find ourselves in. After our sunset shoot, and your first taste of Patagonia’s wilderness, we return to the comfort of our hotel for a well deserved dinner and rest in preparation for the next few days adventure and photography in this exceptional wilderness.
Days 3 – 5: We spend the next 3 full days exploring all the magnificent photographic opportunities that Torres del Paine has to offer and we visit specific locations at the time of day and weather conditions which promise the best light and atmosphere. We have a choice of several lakes and shorelines, waterfalls, rivers, lenga forests and grass plains from which we can capture the awe inspiring mountain formations and cloud formations of this area. But Patagonia is not only landscape, there is some wonderful wildlife to admire, such as wild guanacos (similar to llamas), flamingos, the rhea ( an ostrich like bird), Patagonian foxes, beautiful geese, and perhaps even a Puma! And last but not least, the Andean condor, with an incredible wingspan of 3.3 m, soaring above it all!
A reminder of the ever present gigantic Patagonian ice field, lurking behind these magnificent mountains, we visit Glacier Grey and capture ice bergs as they float on Lago Grey against a backdrop of the towering mountains of Torres del Paine.
There are many different compositional opportunities, ranging from wide angle images of lakes, shore lines and waterfalls to telephoto abstracts of the light and clouds interacting with the granite spires, and we will be sure to take advantage of them! Weather permitting we will also be sure to capture this magnificent scenery against the starry sky!
Day 6: Our last morning at magnificent Torres del Paine and after our morning photography session and, of course, breakfast, we have to say good bye all too soon. But there is so much more for us to see and explore, and it is time to get to know Argentina! Our private bus picks us up outside our hotel and we are on our way to El Calafate, Argentina! Upon arrival we check in to our comfortable, luxurious hotel and after our first delicious Argentinian dinner it is time to rest in preparation for a very exciting day ahead!
Day 7: After an early breakfast we are off to the vast, awe inspiring Perito Moreno glacier, one of the few glaciers in the world that is still advancing. The viewing platforms are spectacularly located right in front of the glacier’s face, a towering wall of ice.
Watch in awe as giant blocks of ice calve off and thunder into the waters of Lago Argentino, a testament to the unstoppable push of the gigantic Patagonian ice field which is at the heart of, and defines, the entire region. We return to El Calafate for some delicious Argentinian cuisine!
Day 8: It is time to visit the trekking capital of Argentina, El Chalten, and explore the home of some of the world’s most spectacular and dramatically shaped mountains, such as the serrated dark wonder, Cerro Torre, and the cathedral shaped Mount Fitz Roy, all of it against a sea of stunning autumn colours! Upon arrival in El Chalten, we first check into our beautiful hotel before we are off on our afternoon photography session! In the evening it is time to sample the multifaceted, tasty cuisine that El Chalten is known for.
Days 9-10: There is much to explore and we have a choice of several waterfalls, river valleys, wind-twisted lenga forests, in peak autumn colors, deep canyons and lakes, and all of it against the magnificent backdrop of Mount Fitzroy and Cerro Torre! We have no set itinerary, but rather we will visit those locations which, given the time of day and weather conditions, promise to be graced by the best light and atmosphere.
Day 11: Our adventure in this wild and beautiful part of the world unfortunately has to come to end and after our last morning session we enjoy a celebratory breakfast in the company of newly found friends, and we look back at our adventure which is over much to soon. We make our way back to El Calafate, the town where it all began. Some of you will decide to fly on to your next destination in South America or back home, while others will stay for another night before continuing their journey the following day. All good things have to come to an end!
Hiking Extensions – April 10-12 and April 13-16: I am excited to offer two optional hiking extensions, one to the base of Mount Cerro Torre, one of the world’s most spectacularly shaped mountains, and the other to the base of breathtaking Mount Fitz Roy as well as nearby located, beautiful, laguna Capri and several stunning waterfalls. Please feel free to find out more about the extension at this link.
My goal is for you to come away with great images which portray the beauty and unique nature of this incredible part of the world. I will take you to all the locations I have identified as the most promising for rewarding photography and we will visit these only when the quality of light is most conducive for compelling images. Our small group size means that, as you photograph I will be able to give you dedicated in the field instruction on all aspects of photography, ranging from the technical to the creative. Although we will be spending as much time as possible photographing, it is important to balance this with presentations, review sessions, and processing sessions so that, as our tour progresses, you have the opportunity to appraise the photographic progress you are making, and identify those areas which need more work. I will be putting much emphasis on the creative aspects of photography such as composition and developing a vision. Another area we will be focusing on is processing and developing a workflow, which forms a very important part of photography.
Topics to be covered:
Getting the technicals right to capture the full beauty of light interacting with the landscape:
1. Exposure and exposure bracketing
2. Focus, depth of field and sharpness
3. Use of filters, especially the polarizer
Previsualisation and composition
Developing an artistic vision
The digital darkroom: Highly effective postprocessing skills
Our Patagonia photography tours offers you all of this and more while you have the opportunity to photograph in this vast and majestic wilderness of towering mountains, giant glaciers, turquoise colored lakes and endless lenga forests in peak autumn colors!
Your unforgettable adventure in this awe inspiring mountain wilderness includes:
- Accommodation in premium hotels strategically located for the best photography opportunities:
Boat tour to beautifully situated Glacier Grey in Chile’s Torres del Paine National Park, and along the world famous Perito Moreno glacier, in Argentina’s Los Glaciares National Park.
Hands on, dedicated, one on one photography instruction with excellent client to instructor ratios. I don’t wait for you to come ask me questions, instead I continuously engage with you, to make sure you achieve the best possible photographs.
Program of review sessions, lectures and processing sessions so that you have the opportunity to appraise the photographic progress you are making, and identify those areas which need more work.
Highly qualified and fully licensed nature guides to accompany us and keep us safe throughout our tour.
Entrance fees and photography permits.
- All transport including private pickup and dropoff from airport.
An optional six day hiking and catered camping extension, which allows you to capture the most magnificent views of Mount Cerro Torre and Fitz Roy, in Argentina’s Los Glaciares National Park. Includes private, catered camp sites, all set up for you, all camping gear and all meals.
What is not included:
Flights to and from El Calafate, Argentina.
Lunch, dinner and beverages.
- I am writing to express to you my sincere gratitude for your excellent leadership in organizing and executing the Patagonia trip. I was very impressed by your professionalism and by your attention to the most minute details to make the trip a total success . In looking back I must say that on many occasions you did above and beyond what a leader of an adult group had to do….As you know, not being a youngster, I had some doubts about the hiking portion of the trip but with your encouragement and explanation it worked out beyond my expectations and I consider this trip to be one of the highlights of my travel experience. Samuel Lewinshtein
- Whilst now it has been, surprisingly, more than 2 months since accompanying you on the April 2019 “Patagonia – Wilderness Untamed” workshop, whilst life goes on I find I am constantly drawn to daydreaming about the wonderful tour you hosted and the incredible vistas we captured.I wanted to record my thanks for your obvious passion and dedication to ensuring the tour went as smoothly as it did. From the day-to-day itinerary right down to the workshop sessions during the quieter points I thoroughly enjoyed every aspect where there was almost nothing for me to have to worry about (other then remember to bring my beanie or which best-lens to pack that day – just bring them all!). The accommodation was first-class which also surprised me as this was deepest, darkest Patagonia and I was “delighted” to find I actually put on weight on a tour of this sort, no doubt “un-assisted” mainly from my bad habit in savouring from the variety of local craft beers that were on offer each day.This was my first-ever photography trip. It certainly whetted my appetite for more and I very much hope to join you again in coming times to visit some of the other exotic locations you have on offer. Phil Cuthbert
- Christoph, I want to thank you, more than you can imagine, for leading us on this remarkable Patagonia workshop. It was a flawless experience heightened by your enthusiasm, your dedication to our improving our photographic skills, and your taking us to breathtaking locations that superseded any expectation I could possibly have imagined.Thank you for organizing and leading this wonderful Patagonia adventure. Your talent and enthusiasm are both inspiring and infectious. Jeffrey Bleaman
- Traveling through Patagonia with Christoph, our tireless and enthusiastic guide, was an experience to remember for a lifetime. We were guided to stunning vistas of jagged peaks reflected in pristine mountain lakes, at times with the Alpenglow setting “fire” to the scene. From both boats and walkways we enjoyed Perito Moreno, a huge active glacier, and experienced the calving of spectacular blue icebergs. Wildlife and birds were plentiful. And as if all this scenery and wildlife was not enough, the days ended with good food in some interesting restaurant settings fulfilling the cultural experience. I highly recommend the camping add-on for a great hike through fall colours to Cerro Torres – simply amazing! Mike Perkins
- This workshop was AWESOME and a great experience. The photographic opportunities were unbelievable and I was thrilled to have participated. Everything was well organized from logistics, accommodations and food. Christoph is a very passionate photographer, who can spot opportunities in the most adverse of conditions. Simon Dadouche
Thank you so much for your interest in our “Patagonia – Wilderness Untamed! photography workshop. I very much look forward to showing you the best this awe inspiring wilderness of towering, rugged mountains, giant blue glaciers, turquoise colored lakes and endless lenga forests in peak autumn colors has to offer!
To register, or for more information, please contact me at this link or send me an E-mail at email@example.com
In order to reserve your spot on our Patagonia photography tour, a deposit of 1600 Canadian Dollars (~ 1300 US Dollars) is kindly requested. Full payment of the remaining balance is due by 90 days before tour begin
Cancellation more than 120 days before tour begin: Full refund.
Cancellation less than 120 but more than 90 days before tour begin: No deposit refund, unless someone fills your spot.
Cancellation less than 90 days before tour begin: No refund of deposit and final payment, unless someone fills your spot.